Press "Enter" to skip to content

Solid waste dumping in and around Ranchi (Jharkhand) and environmental risks

Seema Kesharia* & Snehlata Singh a & Vinay Pd. Singh b
aDeptt. Of Zoology, R.L.S.Y.College, Ranchi University, Ranchi, Jharkhand
bDept. of Zoology, A.N.College, Magadh University, Patna, Bihar, India

Received 28th June, 2012; Revised: 10th August, 2012

Abstract : The whole world is facing the threatening of global warming. Anthropogenic factors are one of the most important factors causing global warming. Among many factors pollution is one of them for global warming. Pollution may be from the solid, liquid and gaseous wastes produced by various human activities.
Presence of pollutants in an area depends upon different activities carried out there by local people and various industries in a locality. The present study shows the solid waste dumping by municipal body in and around Ranchi town and the environmental risks. The pollution created by these solid waste spoil the soil and causes air pollution. It has higher potential for infection, injury and various diseases.
The waste produced in the course of household activities is one of the reasons of solid waste production. When we calculate the garbage produced from one house, the quantity seems low. When there are about 12 lakh people in a city, it increases and converts from low quantity to 12 lakh times every day. This large quantity of waste creates a lot of problem when it is dumped by the municipal body to the outer area of the town.
A report shows that about 66240 Tones solid waste including household garbage is spoiled on roads and streets every year. About 460 tones of garbage is dumped everyday on roads, streets and sewerage by about 12 lakh people in the capital. The Municipal report says that each person throws about 200 to 250 gm garbage. According to a data the municipal body takes off only about 40% solid wastes. The remaining 60% waste in the city and dumped 40% wastes in outer area creates an environmental problem to the Biotic community.
Key words : Solid waste, environmental problem, pollution, dumping, biotic community

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply